Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:02:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL

> J Wunsch writes:
> > As David O'Brien wrote:
> > > Say someone has written fooquix and from version 0.01 to 0.49 it was
> > > GPL'ed.  Then they decided they wanted to make some $$$ from it.  So the
> > > next release (say 0.50) was binary only.  Now obiviously 0.50 is derived
> > > work based on the GPL'ed code of 0.49.
> > >
> > > Is this allowable, or once software is under GLP it stays there?
> >
> > It gets problematic for everything that other contributed under the
> > terms of GPL from version 0.01 through 0.49.  Either they all agree in
> > the new copyright, or you've got a problem. :)
>
> So in theory, the author of every little patch needs to be consulted?
> Hum...  :-)

(This is not an opinion of -core, and none of my opinions unless
 specifically stated are that of -core or any other body, except
 mine :-)).

That is where the original author looses -- he started a waterfall
of GPL, that he ends up being in the same boat as the other
contributors (and looses the freedom to make other arrangements
for the derived works.)  Everyone is pretty much in the same
boat with GPL when it becomes net-owned.  It is mostly the
big changes and patches that need to be cleared the the other
authors for a change in licensing terms.

Imagine if you write a kernel, for example, and declare it to be
under GPL.  Imagine also that lots of other people add to that
kernel, under GPL.  You (the original owner) would have difficulty
making the parallel licensing terms for other use, without either
chasing down each individual author and get their okay, or stripping
out the other GPLed code.  Note, however, that alot of people use
GPL for philosophical reasons.  You (the author of that kernel)
are at their mercy, and likely out of luck.  The only way that
the author of the kernel can keep control is to get written
assignment of the code.  Just because you might add the code
yourself doesn't free the contributed code from GPL.  (In that
case, you are just acting as a repository maintainer.)

There are cases where GPL can be useful, and seems to me to be
a reasonable usage of it.  Imagine that you have written a
cool set of drivers for MSDOS machines.  You are also
agressively maintaining the source code, and accept modifications
with written assignment of ownership or copyright.  You,
the author, maintains control so that you can also distribute
under other license terms.  In this case, GPL is much better
than Shareware, because you can safely give away the source
AND can accept payment to relieve the customer of redistribution
encumberances.  The original author of the package might even
give such relief to those who contribute significantly to
the package.

There are not-so-subtile ways to subvert some of the intent of
GPL, and frankly my opinion is that one should try to follow
the INTENT of the original author.  If an author really meant
for the source code and all of it's derivatives to be
redistributed, I think that it should be done.  GPL is not
such a bad thing that one should ignore it (and perhaps
suffer legal consequences.)  GPL should be applied,
understood, and followed carefully like any other license.

Note that it is the INTENT and desire for the code that
I add to BSD be used in any ethical and legal way that
the user desires.  I don't feel the need for someone to
have to disclose their derived works, but it is in the
spirit of good will that those who use the code, when it
wouldn't hurt their business, will contribute back to the
original distribution.  In fact, it might even make their
code maintenence easier.

John