Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:53:06 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD User Group Tips

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:43:42PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I'll throw out a few comments on this you may or may not agree with.

<...>
> I've even seen this with people working on servers at the co-locate that
> is at the ISP that I work at, invariably the folks running BSD when they
> have a problem they research it themselves then when they figure out what's
> wrong they fix it and we never hear from them.  The Linux people on the
> other hand come running and wanting us to tell them whats wrong with the
> least
> little thing, and I can't tell you how many times I've asked people with
> Red Hat servers "Have you looked on Red Hat's website and seen if this is
> mentioned" and gotten blank stares, then I spend 5 minutes digging up the
> fix off the Linux sites and they think I'm some kind of god.  And I don't
> even run it on any of our servers!!!!

I think that you very much got a point here... but this is a two-sided
fact: While it is undoubtedly a good thing that BSD admins are
knowledgeable and don't require others to spoon-feed them, this "research
for yourself and get over it" attitude also prevents IMHO that quality docs
get written by those who really understand the issues... and this is not
necessarily good. While on Linux every little achievement one makes is
cause to write up a HOWTO (albeit in very varying styles and degree of
professionalism, sometimes you have the feeling that the guy did not
actually understand why he was doing things but merely writes: This is what
worked for me, if it does for you great), in BSD land we stick to quality.
This is good because when docs actually get written, they are high quality.
But there are not many people who could do this for most BSD topics. This
in turn means that when you try to "research" for yourself next time, you
are often left with "common knowledge" on mailing lists, that are often not
even written down anywhere save for some random mail message... not exactly
productive.

In my opinion, two things need to be done here:

- Instead of expecting (as it is tacitly today) that "the guys at the Doc
  Project" know every topic and write all the good docs by themselves,
  everybody should write docs (and not just man pages although that is a
  must) for the areas he/she is knowledgeable in.

- Instead of maintaining a sctrict divine between those "in" the project
  and those "out", we should encourage (as opposed to merely tolerate)
  new talent who work outside of the official channels (say on various
  support web sites) so that we have a more steady supply of new
  contributors, esp because the "old hands" tend to be soaked up in
  (undoubtedly important) technical discussions instead of writing.

Would like to note also that while it may be not the most important for BSD
user groups to enjoy big gatherings, the community aspect is very much
alive: the mailing list traffic, the very existence of freebsd-chat@ all
prove this point. It is not unusual for people with a hobby to pursue it
for both the object of it (eg software) and for socializing. Taking out the
community aspect would leave little of the FreeBSD project as we know it
today. It is interesting to observe the newly-forming xMach project in this
respect: although they have only started recently, they already have an
explicit community web site.

Reading through the threads recently about why the BSD's public profile
isn't as high as it could be, I think that this "splendid isolation" may be
a reason not only because nobody is going to know what you have unless you tell
it and show it, but also because many perceive this exclusive behaviour as
elitist and condescending along the lines of: We are the best and we know
it but for most of you guys we are just too good. So, instead of trying to
define the BSD way by fighting others and expanding on differences of
opinion, we should focus on bringing what we have out to the world. Not
keeping it for ourselves in dark rooms in lone hacking nights and expecting
that people find it and somehow get it from us and if they fail to find us
denouncing them in talkback columns as clueless if they prefer to write
about what's out there. We need stories that involve BSD, success stories,
technical papers, executive reports, and we have to give the feeling to
people who happen to check in that "yes you are important" and "yes, we
will look into that" (and then do as promised). Even stories like "We used
FreeBSD yesterday night at a party to serve the music and it kept ticking
the whole night without missing a beat" count since people may ask what the
hell that BSD thing is. IMHO, this is the way that would be in-keeping with
the BSD way (focus on the important stuff).

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University