Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:24:48 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libintl.so.5 issue when installing logrotate

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:53:52AM +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I ran into a rather funny issue (fbsd 5.3-release, i386).
>=20
> I have an updated ports tree (that is: twice per week cron updates it=20
> using cvsup).
>=20
> Now, I tried installing /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate (make install)
>=20
> O.k., it failed, mentioning that it required gettext version 0.13 or high=
er.
>=20
> No problem, just install that, right?
> O.k., so I installed /usr/ports/devel/gettext (make deinstall, make=20
> reinstall)
>=20
> All fine so far (it installef version 0.14.1).
>=20
> Then I tried again to make install the /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate
> and again it failed, this time the error is:
> [...]
> =3D=3D=3D>  Building for logrotate-3.7_3
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
>=20
> Hmmm, no what can that be?
> A quick look-up on Google shows:=20
> http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/tidbits/gettextupgrade
>=20
> Nice, a "chicken and the egg" problem: logrotate requires gettext 0.13=20
> or higher, but when installing that, apparently out goes a required=20
> library! Duh!

It's probably some other binary that is missing libintl.so.5 (you
probably yanked it out from underneath when doing a previous upgrade -
if you'd used portupgrade, this wouldn't have happened because it
saves copies of the old libraries in case they're still in use).
gmake is a likely candidate; you'd need to rebuild it.  The libchk
port will tell you if any other applications need to be rebuilt.

Kris

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe--