Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:54:49 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth>
To:        mpp@mpp.minn.net
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quota section in handbook

    Mike> I just threw together a quota section for the handbook and I
    Mike> was looking for someone to review it before I commited it.
    Mike> Anyone interested in taking a look?

Yep.  Looks really good!

Just a few comments---ignore at will:

   By default the quota files are stored in the root of the file
   system with the names ...

Maybe say ``... stored in the root directory of the file system ...''

   For example, if the user has a hard limit of 500 blocks on a file
   system and attempts to allocate 501 blocks, the allocation will
   fail.

This makes it sound like the hard limit is on the allocation size and
not on use---meaning the user can do as many 500 block allocations he
wants and fill up the filesystem.  Perhaps you could improve the
example by saying something like ``If the user has a hard limit of 500
blocks and is currently using 490 blocks, he can allocate only 10 more
blocks successfully.  If s/he requests 11 blocks, the request will
fail.  If s/he requests 10 blocks, the request will succeed.  But any
further requests will fail.''

   If a user stays over their soft limit longer than their grace
   period ...

Pronoun number mismatch in `user' and `their.'  Try saying ``if users
stay over their soft limits ...'' or ``if a user stays over his/her
soft limit ...''

   you are placed into the vi editor to allow you to edit the quota
   limits

This is probably over anal, but you're placed into the editor
specified by the EDITOR environment variable, or vi if there is no
EDITOR var.

Otherwise, the document's great!  Maybe I'll enable quotas tonight to
annoy my wife :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

If I had a mine shaft, I don't think I would just abandon it. There's
got to be a better way.  -- Jack Handey