Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:30:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Documenters)
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

Chuck Robey writes:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>
>> It seems that Chuck Robey said:
>>> that trivially in either troff or LaTeX, but I can't find any in the
>>> handbook, and there's no explanation anywhere I can find.  I could even
>>> turn on underlining, only one kind of emphasis.  The idea of having to go
>>> thru thousands of lines looking for one example, it makes it too hard to
>>
>> To be honest, if you know LaTeX, you know the Linuxdoc DTD. Instead of \em,
>> you just  use <em/.../  or  <em>...</em>.That  was  part  of this reason  I
>> recommended using the Linuxdoc and started  using it for  the FAQ two years
>> ago.
>>
>> At the time, there was no real tool to generate text,  HTML, LaTeX from a a
>> common source document. The Linuxdoc is far from perfect but at the time it
>> seemed one of the best solution... :-)
>
> It's doing the mapping from a dtd to a document that has me confused.
> I'm learning LaTeX, but not making much headway with sgml.  Maybe I have
> to go out and buy Yet Another Book.

Are we wed to LaTeX?  I find it a very turgid formatter.  I tried
years ago, and came to the conclusion that I'd rather use plain TeX.
When I wrote my book for O'Reilly, they wanted me to write it in
troff, and I wanted to write it in TeX.  In the end, I gave in, and to
my surprise I found troff a *whole* lot better than TeX or
derivatives.  I'm not trying to convert people, but I do think we
should have a choice.

Greg