Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Dave Dittrich <dittrich@cac.washington.edu>
Cc:        ports@openbsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared libraries in packages

I am currently running FreeBSD, which is where I wrote the port.

billf@jade$ uname -a
FreeBSD jade.chc-chimes.com 2.2.7-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE #0: Mon Aug
17 10:00:36 EDT 1998
billf@jade.chc-chimes.com:/usr/cvs-update/src/sys/compile/JADED  i386

See below..

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Dave Dittrich wrote:

> I'm trying to load some of the network diagnostic tools, e.g. "ntop".
> This package seems to want a shared library that doesn't exist anywhere I can
> find:
>
> sunhost# ntop
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: ntop: libpcap.so.2.2: No such file or directory
>
> sunhost# ldconfig -r | grep libpcap
> 40:-lpcap.0.2 => /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.2

billf@jade$ ldconfig -r | grep libpcap
        118:-lpcap.2.2 => /usr/lib/libpcap.so.2.2

> sunhost# ls /usr/local/src | grep pcap
> libpcap
> libpcap-0.4
> pcapture-0.2.1

billf@jade$ pwd
/usr/src/contrib/libpcap
billf@jade$ cat README | head -7
@(#) $Header: README,v 1.15 96/07/07 22:38:34 leres Exp $ (LBL)

LIBPCAP 0.2.1
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Network Research Group
libpcap@ee.lbl.gov
ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/libpcap.tar.Z
billf@jade$

> So the one that comes with OpenBSD is old (0.2) and that I have as a static
> library is what I thought was the newest (the code from LLNL, the authors of
> libpcap, is only version 0.4.)  Where did 2.2 come from?

I can't honestly say why FreeBSD installs it as 2.2, though I am
crossposting this to see why... (hi guys)...

> There are some other packages that have similar shared library
> dependancies.  What is the best solution for this (telling me to just get
> source code is fine, I guess, but this seems like an issue that affects any
> pre-compiled packages with shared libraries and will end up biting more people
> than just me.

Refresh my memory, if a program has 'shared libraries' then aren't they
build INTO the binary, so there are no dependencies at runtime, though I
could be wrong.

Again, I am sincerly sorry it doesn't work "out of the box" with OpenBSD,
and hopefully my crossposting will give you some closure.

- bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
-  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany