Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 05:58:32 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New name?

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> I happen to like FreeBSD as I consider Free to mean freedom and not
> necessarily "with out cost". I concede that this may not be so with the
> suits.
>
> If there is a name change, let the name of a specific product change. I
> think any name change to the organization at large should NOT occur.
> FreeBSD Inc should remain FreeBSD Inc.

I second this. FreeBSD means a lot to me as what it is. If you want to
make a corporate version, rename that, but never take the effort away
from FreeBSD. That's what scares me about all of these threads:
splintering.

> Consider the following "box" products and there titles. These all
> display the BSD pedigree. They all convey a meaning.
>
> BSD Webserver - runs with apache out of the box
> BSD Fileserver - runs with samba right out of the box
> BSD Firewall - runs ipfw or the like right out of the box
> BSD Nameserver - runs BIND right out of the box
> BSD Complete Server - Does all of the above
>
> We have all of these technologies already in our coffers.
This is not a bad idea, but add 'FreeBSD Personal' for the home users.
Runs X, Mozilla, and Apache, has Staroffice installed, etc. Add 'FreeBSD
University' for MSCS students...

> We could include existing O'Reilly and Lehey Megapublications
> Incorporates (or SSC in Sambas case) documentation in a box set.
Now _that_ would get expensive! I already have most of them, and there's
a lot of ORA BSD/GNU books, not to mention A-W!
						Don