Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:26:41 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I've just found a new and interesting spam source - legitimate bounce messages

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008, eculp@casasponti.net wrote:
> In the last hour, I've received over 200 legitimate bounce messages from
> email services as a result of someone having used or worse is using my
> email address in spam from multiple windows machines and ip addresses.
> The end result is that I am getting the bounce messages.  I'm sure that
> others on this list have experienced the problem and maybe have a
> solution that I don't have.

Did these come from Barracuda boxes?

Blowback like this is hardly new or legitimate as the From and Sender
header addresses are often (usually) forged in spam, and it does not do
anything useful to reply to them.  The forged addresses may just be
something scraped from the address book of a machine running the Microsoft
virus, Windows, or a deliberate ``Joe Job'' where a spammer is targeting
somebody who may have caused them problems.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson