Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:04:16 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removin the old make

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 23:59 +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:49:37AM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 at 23:38:54 +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to start using bmake only syntax on our infrastructure for that I
> > > want to make sure noone is using the old make, so I plan to remove the old make
> > > from base, I plan to do it by Feb 16th.
> >
> > How does this affect non-system Makefiles that depend on pmake?  Is
> > bmake completely upward compatible?
>
> There are very few issues, not that fmake is available from ports, I think 99%
> of the compatibility are preserved I know about a couple of incompatibilities
> that are bothering me in ports (for the infrastructure) but I would say this is
> very much a corner case
>
> Bapt

By far the biggest incompatibility I've run into is the change from :U
and :L to :tu and :tl, mostly because any existing makefiles that
contain :U or :L variable modifiers just silently do the wrong thing
under bmake.  It's especially annoying because :L is really common in
fmake and its meaning in bmake is all but useless.

-- Ian