Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 98 15:09:44 CST
From:      bell@reillyplating.com (Jerry Bell)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, relyod@indigo.ie
Subject:   Re: POP/Sendmail configuration

%UNIPLEX
%TO            relyod@indigo.ie
%CC            questions@freebsd.org
%FROM          bell
%SYSTEM        sysV88
%SUBJECT       Re: POP/Sendmail configuration
%VERIFY        y
%REGISTERED    y
%DATE          13/02/98 10:09
%REFERENCE     9645

I have hacked a copy of fetchmail to re-distibute mail to users correctly.
The problem is that utilities like fetchmail will do what you want, but also
have some adverse effects, particularly with messages sent to more than one
user at your domain.  The problem is that if a message is sent to, say 3
users at your domain, each user will get three copies of the messages, since
the other end's smtp server sends a copy to each of the recipients, and
your local sendmail wants to do the same thing.
Whai I did is create a linked list of message ids with an entry for each
incoming message.  Every new message's id is checked against the list, and if
a duplicate is found it is dumped, otherwise it is sent on to sendmail.
My changes are done to a pretty old version of fetchmail, and has a small
memory leak, but is very effective.  If you (or others express interest in
the code, I may be motivated to clean it up and make it work on later
versions of fetchmail.  (on version 4.1.0 now)
I have been using this in a setup very simial to yours (with about 70 users)
for almost 8 months now, and it is very effective.
If you are interested in the code changes, let me know, and I'll help you
out.  Also, if you need any assistance with configuration, I'd be glad to
help.  (I fought with it for quite a while)

I did offer the changes to Eric Raymond (author of Fetchmail, but haven't had
the time or creativity to justifiy my changes inclusion in the fetchmail
distribution.)

Jerry Bell.
Sys Admin
Reilly Plating Company and M-Lok, Inc.