Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:17:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + Mylex DAC960 (RAID 1) + DEC Prioris HX 6000 Server will not  recognize boot record for some reason

> I can add another data point for this. We are using FreeBSD 4.0 (I'll
be
> upgrading them one of these days) and had this exact same problem. My
> solution was to make a floppy disk and stuff it in the drive. It did
the 3
> phase boot loader and in the loader.rc I added set currdev=disk1s1a
which
> did the trick. I'm really interested in getting this working as these
are
> our mailservers that I'd rather not trust to having to boot from
floppy
> disks.
>
> -gordon
>
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>
> > Subject: FreeBSD + Mylex DAC960 (RAID 1) + DEC Prioris HX 6000
Server
> >     will not  recognize boot record for some reason
> >
> > 	Having problems booting; the system installs to the mylex
system drive
> > fine, but when I reboot, I get the FreeBSD boot MGR, and it only
beeps
> > when I press F1 for FreeBSD. If I install using a normal boot
record,
> > the system reports 'No operating system found'. I'm thinking it may
be
> > an issue with the Mylex card, but I don't know for sure if the
system's
> > bios could cause this either. I cannot attempt to install the mylex
card
> > in another machine; as the drives attached to it are in a hot-swap
> > carriage which is part of the system's chassis.

I solved the problem just by adding a 4.5G SCSIUW disk to my first SCSI
controller, (Adaptec ON-Board dual channel controller). I installed the
system onto the 4.5G SCSI, and mounted the RAID array to a directory
which will store alll of our information; next step is just to backup
the root partition, and keep a good current backup of it.
--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com