Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:11:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   where is TERMCAP set?

The first 6 months that I had my system up and running
a setting for TERM or TERMCAP in .profile - "echo $TERM"
and "echo $TERMCAP"
would produce nothing - yet the system - vi and such would work fine.
in X "echo $TERMCAP" would produce the entire listing from termcap file.

NOW I have to set TERMCAP to /etc/termcap for it to work.

My question is:  How does the system know what TERM and TERMCAP to
use if it is not set in .profile? Why is
the system not setting these variable
auto-like it did in the past?