Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:57:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM question (QCAM question)

> Hell :( Okay, then. In that case, what I can do would amount to fixing any
> panics that the code caused for VC/etc. and correctly detecting the
> devices (but not continuing... detect that they DON'T work :P), and doing
> the ppbus dance. Is that acceptable for inclusion?

The protocol is probably documented in source available elsewhere.

The bottom line is that there are more problems with the Quickcam
protocol which make it hostile to implementing it in kernel space.  It
should instead be done in user space.  You could probably add a few
minor enhancements to the 'ppi' driver (ability to read multiple values)
and do everything else in a user-space application.