Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:29:35 -0500
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: security for non-root sysadmins

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> wrote,

>* Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> [000203 08:23] wrote:
>>
>> Okay, one thing i have learned here is to use a user account for as
>> much admin as possible.  I use su to do the rest.  I also read
>> somewhere that if i change the permissions on /usr/ports/distfiles and
>> one other directory (work?) i can make ports without being root.  What
>> directory is that?  Are there any other changes like these i can make
>> that will mean spending less time as root for admin tasks, like
>> building work or kernel?  Is there a security risk in changing these
>> directory permissions to less strict settings?
>
>Yes, if you are too lax on your permissions all one needs to do is
>modify a file within your source/ports tree to have a trojan'd program
>installed when you do "make install/installworld"

I seem to recall reading on this list that some (all?) ports have some sort
of ownership issue, which is automatically correct if root does the
install. Personally, I've had a couple of port installs fail when I did
them as a user su'd to root, but then the same install succeeds when I
actually log in as root. This is why I do my port installations as root.
Plus, I don't have to monkey with permissions on /usr/ports/distfiles or
anything else. To maintain a degree of safety, I log root out as soon as
the install is done.

--
Chris Hill                   chris@monochrome.org
[place witty saying here]