Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:28:05 -0600
From:      Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a firewall

I am using OpenBSD as my firewall, currently on 3.2, and will be 3.3 after
it comes out and seems stable.  I have been using it for a couple of years
now and love it; and yes, the security of the system is a primary
consideration, that and the fact that I can get a complete system up and
configured in less time than it takes to get a pizza
delivered.  Performance is great as well, I've never seen the load go past
95% idle.  One guy on the OBSD list tested it with I believe about 50,000
open states with a lot of bandwidth and it never went below 85% idle.  That
says something...

Currently I have it on a P3-600 (overkill, but it's the only spare
rackmount system I had) with one on-board ethernet and a 4-port Znyx
100-mbit card.  Works great!  FreeBSD will likely work well for a firewall,
I just found PF on OpenBSD to be about the damn coolest thing I've used for
it in a while (note: I have never used FBSD as a firewall, just for
servers/workstations).

- Ralph