Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 20:29:55 -0500
From:      Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian Skrab <bgs@pinky.us.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum & FreeBDS 4.3-stable???

Does anyone have any comparisons or comments on RAID5 implemented with vinum and FreeBSD vs RAID5
implemented with RAIDFrame and NetBSD?

My nfs/smb server is currently running NetBSD 1.5 with RAID5 using RAIDFrame.  When I configured
that system, I was unaware of vinum's support of RAID5.

Can you comment on vinums stability with RAID5?  I have currently configured a 4 disk array; 3
15gig ATA ultra66 and 1 18gig scsi.  This is split up into 2 22gig arrays with no hot-spares.  So
far the RAIDFrame has performed admirably.

I would just as soon have all my machines running FreeBSD.

Thanks,

Doug Egan