Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:41:06 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

At 18:47 19-04-1999 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>Mike Avery has raised many good points here.
>
>>If you compare OS's to religous movements (5), religous movements
>>rarely rely on a single way of getting converts.  Even churches work
>>hard and in varied ways to get visitors through the door, and to keep
>>them in the fold after that.  Advertisements, special programs,
>>personal testimony, booths at fairs, billboards, television programs,
>>courting the news media for coverage all have their place.  And none
>>of them are enough by themselves.

Guess what, I had to chuckle when I saw that. The fact is that the world's
largest religion (as far as number of members goes), namely Buddhism, does
not seek converts. Never did either. Never faught in religious wars. Its
founder was reluctant to teach his disciples. Even to this day, when
someone wants to convert to Buddhism, monks question his reasons and try to
find out if there was a way for him to stay in his old religion, and only
if there is no other way do they say OK, good idea. And the Buddha himself
predicted that within 500 years of his time no one would even remember him
or his teachings. That was 2500 years ago.

I personally like the fact that no FreeBSD evangelists knock on my doors. I
am also very happy that I discovered FreeBSD. I installed it originally on
a 50 Meg partition I cut out of my 1 Gig Windows hard disk. I did that only
because the host of my web site (pair Networks) uses FreeBSD, and I wanted
to be able to develop my CGI programs without having to ftp and telnet to
them everytime I changed something.

Well, by now, my FreeBSD uses 8 Gig of disk space, and Windows only 3, of
which 2 are shared with FreeBSD anyway. I also spend most of my time in
FreeBSD now. I go to Windows mostly to read and write my email since I have
years of messages stored in Eudora and do not want to lose continuity.

Please do not underestimate the intelligence of the people. They will come
just as I have come. There is nothing more powerful than the feeling that
one has discovered something worth its while on one's own.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/