Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:00:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Where is 4.4 ?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> Mark - I'm right beside you on your soapbox!!!  I am similarly amazed at how
> impatient some people are with the FreeBSD project.  Consider M$ in
> comparison - they are almost ALWAYS late for their promised deadlines -
> still deliver a $#!Tload of bugs in the late code, never apologise, and
> still charge you a fortune for the privilege.  I'll WAIT a few days for
> FreeBSD anytime!

Yes, that's fair enough.  I was reading the "Design and Implementation of
the 4.3 BSD" system long ago, when I was amazed to discover that CSRG had
been making their BSD releases available when they felt that "they were
worth to be released" and not because there was a pending deadline.

It's nice to be able to have a new cdrom with shining daemons on the cover
every now and then, but it's better to have it when one feels that the
production quality and stability that -STABLE has had until now will not
be lost in the upgrade.

> Jordan and the gang - just you keep doing what you know is best!
>
> Patrick.

My vote added here too.  Thank you Jordan, and all that have given their
best efforts to make the release of 4.4 happen.  You know that we're
indebted to you all, but saying loud now and then it does not hurt anyone.

- giorgos