Date:      Mon, 8 Aug 2011 21:31:29 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        bschmidt@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFQ] net80211 regulatory changes: what I'd like to see before 9.0-RELEASE

On 8 August 2011 21:25, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org> wrote:

> We've discussed this on IRC already, though to mention it again what I
>
> really like to get rid of is all the SKU stuff from the regdomain.xml. This
> is
>
> specific to ath(4) and ath(4) only.

Yup, I agree. ath/ath_hal can export a default country code for the given SKU.
The only reason I'd maintain the SKU is so tools that currently expose
that value keep working (ie, to read the EEPROM value from the NIC.)

But it won't be used anywhere else for configuration/

> Using the isocc as the index is correct and really the way to go, but it
>
> might not serve some corner cases that well. Imagine someone wants
>
> to set a regdomain and not a country (we DO support this currently),
>
> how do want to express that in regdomain.xml? Adding a dummy isocc
>
> for each regdomain (FCC, ETSI, ..)? Maybe we should use (isocc,regdomain)
>
> as the index, so it is possible to use issoc=0,regdomain={FCC,ETSI,..}
>
> for the mentioned case.

You'd just create or use a NONE ISOCC, and set your regulatory domain
to whatever.

The ISO CC is just a key to find a default regulatory domain. Some
countries may share the same regulatory domain because they (for
example) implement 100% of the USA FCC rules. But many won't, so I
think we'll likely see something more like CRDA where each country
gets enumerated.

There'll also (for now) be custom SKUs/regulatory domains -
specifically to drive the net80211ath/ath_hal GSM configuration
(900mhz.) net80211 handles 900mhz frequencies. The SKU choice "tells"
the ath/hal code to use the relevant channel mapping. That's the main
reason I don't want to yet get rid of SKUs. I can worry about that
part later.

Adrian