Date:      07 Oct 2004 10:31:14 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        trypticon@SAFe-mail.net
Subject:   Re: problem installing firefox

trypticon@SAFe-mail.net writes:

> > I'm having trouble installing firefox on freebsd-4.10. When i try to install it it gives me this error:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lXcursor
> > gmake[2]: *** [libgtkxtbin.so] Error 1
> > gmake[2]: Leaving Directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla
> > /widget/src/gtkxtbin'
> > gmake[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
> > gmake[1]: Leaving Directory`/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/mozilla'
> > gmake: *** [default] Error 2
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Had you done a build before this?
> >It looks like the problem is in the build part, not the install.
> >
> >Are your ports up-to-date?
> >There have been some major changes in the port since the release of
> >FreeBSD 4.10.
>
> This is my first time installing firefox. I updated my ports yesterday and i tried again, but i still get the error.

It builds fine for me.

It's looking for libXcursor.so, which is normally installed by the
XFree86-libraries port into /usr/X11R6/lib (I assume it should be
installed by the equivalent xorg port if you're using that, but
XFree86 is the default on 4.10).  Check if you have that.

		http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/