Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:52:49 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        "'Bill'" <bwoods2@uswest.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on a REAL OLD system help please

I had similar problems with an old 486-50 which wouldn't work right
with the Large IDE drive I was trying to install. I solved the problem
by installing a special bios extension board in an ISA slot, which
provided bios extensions to address large hard drives. I picked the
board up for about $20 - $30 at Office Depot or CompUSA (I don't
remember it's been a while). After that the system understood how to
deal with large hard drives and I had no more problems.

Cla.