Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:08:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        sandy nandy <sandynandy@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd system wont boot [find *.core -exec rm -rf]

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, sandy nandy wrote:
> HI ther all - i was practicing find and remove command in the root login and unfortunately i executed somehow rm -rf in the find command, actually  i specified to remove core files but it started removing all files. but i stopped iit in the middle. but nothing was working( for instance ps, vi etc etc). what do i ahve to do now to recover the system. PLEase LET ME KNOW IN DETAIL AS SSON AS POSSIBLE> I HAVE USE TEH MACHINE - thankx a lot in advance
> sandy

First of all, you ought to alias the "rm" command to "rm -i" so you will be
prompted "are you sure?"  The "rm -rf" basically means "keep removing
recursively and forcefully!"

Second of all, it is difficult to tell what damage has been done, so the
best rememdy would be to obtain the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp images and
create boot floppies for whatever version of FreeBSD you were running and
reinstall the system.  There may be a way to *repair* your OS using
/stand/sysinstall but I seriously doubt it.  (List?)

Finally, rather than practicing as root and doing dangerous remove commands,
might I suggest instead doing a google search for /bin/sh scripts which
were created to find and nuke *.core files on your system?  or post to a
list such as this one the way such as you have and inquire what command
line is safest to use to find and remove all *.core files on the system.

Bonus Answer: My shell is tcsh and in my ~/.cshrc file I have a line:
limit coredumpsize 0            # don't make core files

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder