Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 22:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Jasper O'Malley <jooji@webnology.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mickey Mouse networking...

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Jamie Bowden wrote:

:On Fri, 28 May 1999, Dan Langille wrote:
:
::On 27 May 99, at 13:41, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
:
::> Another reason Microsoft sucks...whilst attempting to set an IP address on
::> a NIC in a Win98 box to 10.4.100.255/255.255.0.0, I encountered the error
::> message:
::>
::> "The specified IP address is not valid."
::>
::> I say we take a collection to send the Microsoft programmers to a class on
::> IP subnetting.
::
::OK.  I'll be the lamb to the slaughter.
::
::I understood that ip addresses ending in either 0 or 255 were not to be
::used.  They are both used as broadcast addresses.  Is that correct?
::
::If the above is correct, why is the IP address supplied above correct?
:
:The first address in a subnet (any subnet, from a /8 to a /30) is the
:network address.  In 4.2 BSD it was also the braodcast address.  The rest
:of the world, including BSD 4.3 and later use the last address in a subnet
:as the broadcast address.  I don't think windows supports 4.2 BSD
:compatibility, so the above error is perfectly valid.

As he pointed out in a later post, the address above is valid.  I made the
same mistake mickeysoft did, and only looked at the last octet.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)