Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:19:51 -0500
From:      Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Subject:   Re: Which jdk port should I use?

On Thursday 06 March 2008 05:42:05 am Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:05:34PM -0500, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> >> I have two installed:
> >> diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_9
> >> jdk-1.5.0.14p8,1
> >
> > The native JDK is the one to use in most cases; eg: if you're
> > running FreeBSD-7, eclipse won't work properly unless you're using the
> > native jdk.
>
> I assume you mean "native" in the sense of "compiled for FreeBSD 7
> instead of FreeBSD 6".  They are both native FreeBSD binaries :-)
>
> But yes, you should be using the self-compiled jdk on FreeBSD 7 for
> other reasons: it has better performance.  Once a 7.x build of diablo is
> released you can switch to that.
>
> Kris

Ok, so I pkg_deinstall diablo-jdk and tried to install jdk15.
It errors out (I had previously had installed this long ago and didn't have
any problems tracking it with csup/portupgrade).
WARNING: Your are not building SPONSORS workspace from
         the control build. This will result in a development-only
         build of the J2SE workspace, lacking the installation bundles

WARNING: Your FreeBSD installation is not valid for building a
       the J2SDK. You must be using FreeBSD 4.1[01]|5.[345]|6.*.
       Your release is 7.0-RELEASE

ERROR: BOOTDIR does not point to a valid Java 2 SDK
       Check that you have access to
           /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/bin/java
       and/or check your value of ALT_BOOTDIR.

Exiting because of the above error(s).