Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:26:41 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic on 4.5 STABLE

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:47:41PM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Monday 11 February 2002 05:02, you wrote:
> >
> > BTWW, it's ipfw. A simple ipfw -a l will reliably panic my mahine.
> > And, I;m not even using ipfw. The daily security check calls it ;-(
>=20
> Pfff. OK I see where it happens. I don't run ipfw, neither do I have=20
> anything ipfw'ish in kernel config:
>=20
> root@shaggy.ricin.net [/etc] # ipfw -a l
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
>=20
> I've never used ipfw, nor netgraph. Could it be that the latter=20
> causes the first to be loaded as a module?, e.g. try:
>=20
> root@scooby.ricin.net [/etc/periodic/daily] # kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1    2 0xc0100000 1e5a30   kernel
>  2    1 0xc1ee8000 c3000    vinum.ko

Script started on Sun Feb 10 16:39:08 2002
black# kldstat -v
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    6 0xc0100000 2a4384   kernel
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		 7 rootbus
		 8 intsmb/smbus
		 9 alsmb/smbus
		10 ichsmb/smbus
		11 amdsmb/smbus
		12 smbus/smb
		13 bti2c/iicbb
		14 lpbb/iicbb
		15 pcf/iicbus
		16 iicbb/iicbus
		17 bti2c/iicbus
		18 pci/ed
		19 eisa/ahc
		20 pci/ahc
		21 miibus/ukphy
		22 miibus/amphy
		23 netgraph
		24 miibus/brgphy
		25 pci/uhci
		26 pci/ohci
		27 miibus/dcphy
		28 miibus/e1000phy
		29 miibus/xlphy
		30 ohci/usb
		31 uhci/usb
		32 uhub/ugen
		33 uhub/uhid
		34 uhub/ums
		35 uhub/ukbd
		36 uhub/umass
		37 usb/uhub
		38 uhub/uhub
		39 miibus/inphy
		40 isab/isa
		41 nexus/isa
		42 isa/isahint
		43 isa/orm
		44 isa/pnp
		45 isa/snd_ad1816
		46 isa/snd_es1888
		47 sbc/snd_ess
		48 isa/esscontrol
		49 isa/snd_gusc
		50 isa/snd_mss
		51 isa/snd_pnpmss
		52 gusc/snd_guspcm
		53 sbc/snd_sb16
		54 sbc/snd_sb8
		55 isa/snd_sbc
		56 pci/snd_als
		57 pci/snd_cmipci
		58 pci/snd_cs4281
		59 pci/snd_csa
		60 csa/snd_csapcm
		61 pci/snd_ds1
		62 pci/snd_emu10k1
		63 pci/emujoy
		64 pci/snd_es137x
		65 pci/fm801
		66 pci/snd_ich
		67 pci/snd_maestro
		68 pci/snd_neomagic
		69 pci/snd_solo
		70 pci/snd_t4dwave
		71 pci/via
		72 pci/snd_sonicvibes
		73 miibus/mlphy
		74 miibus/nsphy
		75 miibus/nsgphy
		76 miibus/pnphy
		77 miibus/pnaphy
		78 miibus/tlphy
		79 miibus/rlphy
		80 snd_pcm
		81 miibus/xmphy
		82 isa/ata
		83 pci/atapci
		84 atapci/ata
		85 miibus/lxtphy
		86 miibus/qsphy
		87 miibus/acphy
		88 ppbus/plip
		89 intpm/intsmb
		90 pci/intpm
		91 pcib/pci
		92 pci/pcib
		93 pci/isab
		94 isa/ed
		95 eisa/mainboard
		96 isab/eisa
		97 nexus/eisa
		98 pci/chip
		99 scterm-sc
		100 scrndr-vga
		101 pci/ign
		102 nexus/apm
		103 cardbus/ahc
		104 ppbus/lpt
		105 ahc
		106 ppc/ppbus
		107 ppbus/ppi
		108 root/nexus
		109 isa/fdc
		110 fdc/fd
		111 nexus/npx
		112 nexus/pcib
		113 vesa
		114 atkbdc/atkbd
		115 iicsmb/smbus
		116 isa/atkbdc
		117 isa/ppc
		118 atkbdc/psm
		119 isa/sio
		120 pci/sio
		121 isa/sc
		122 isa/vga
		123 bti2c/smbus
		124 nfs
		125 procfs
		126 mfs
		127 ufs
		128 cd9660
		129 msdos
		130 ng_tty
		131 ng_UI
		132 ng_vjc
		133 if_tun
		134 if_gif
		135 if_loop
		136 ng_async
		137 ng_bpf
		138 ng_echo
		139 ng_ether
		140 ng_hole
		141 ng_iface
		142 ng_one2many
		143 ng_rfc1490
		144 ng_socket
		145 ng_tee
		146 elf
		147 shell
		148 aout
 2    1 0xc03a5000 a2f8     agp.ko
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		 1 pci/agp_intel
		 2 pci/agp_via
		 3 pci/agp_sis
		 4 pci/agp_ali
		 5 pci/agp_amd
		 6 pci/agp_i810
 3    1 0xc2c93000 2000     warp_saver.ko
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		149 warp_saver
 4    1 0xc2c95000 14000    linux.ko
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		150 linuxelf
		151 linuxaout
 5    1 0xc2cd0000 13000    radeon.ko
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		152 pci/radeon
 6    1 0xc2d24000 2000     trafcount.ko
	Contains modules:
		Id Name
		153 trafcount
black# ;=08=1B[Kls -l /sbin/ipfw
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  261432 Feb 10 16:13 /sbin/ipfw
black# ls -l /modules/ipfw.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  27163 Feb 10 16:29 /modules/ipfw.ko
black# ^D=08=08exit

Script done on Sun Feb 10 16:39:36 2002

Doesn't look like it's geting loade. At least not untill ipfw runs, which
_might_ cause it to be loaded? Or not?  Any idea?

>=20
> If this shows ipfw.ko or something alike then it's likely to be=20
> loaded on demand for some reason, while perhaps not having all teh=20
> kernel options at hand that it might need. Just a thought.=20
>=20
> [it is not always the case that using a module or compiling it into=20
> the kernel are two different ways of achieving the same, for example=20
> compiling vinum into the kernel won't work properly, using ipfilter
> as module doesn't work exactly the same as when compiled into the=20
> kernel, etc]
>=20
> Also check the timestamp of /etc/security to make sure it has been or=20
> doesn't need to be updated after installing world. You, or=20
> mergemaster for that matter, might have forgotten to diff it with a=20
> newer version (if present). If all else fails you could always remove=20
> the ipfw crud from the security script of course as last resort ;-)=20
>=20

Mergemaster was happy with it.

Also just runing ipfw -a l will panic the machine. Yes I have presently set
the defauls so that the daily secuirty check is not run. However I ahve
absolutely no confidence that something else may not triger the same (or
another) kerenel panic.=20

I'm not going to have confidence in this amchien till I track this down :-)

BTW, on a differnt machine (PII vs Atholon) I get the smae usage message
you do when I run ipfw -a l.

I can replicate this panic with a kernel compiled from GENERIC, so I don't
belive it's something I have wrong in the kernel config file.

--=20
neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin