Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:15:30 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Florian_Uhl@3com.com'" <Florian_Uhl@3com.com>, Charlie ROOT <root@mfn.org>, "'FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Boot time message makes no sense.

[->] Regardless of the opinions expressed herein by either Florian or myself,
the actual problem stum still remains: Why do I get an error regarding
*exports* of /usr, when there is no such thing being done (see very end
of this for more detail).

I would suggest removing the first of the following two lines from the
/etc/fstab.

/dev/wd0s1e         /usr      ufs  rw         2    2
greeves:/usr   /usr      nfs  ro         0    0

Why would you want to mount a local filesystem on the same mount point as
the network mount (without using a union/merge mount)?

[->]  This is how I have mounted my /usr on the entire network: it
allows me to keep a single, updated /usr, completely superceding the
skeletal /usr that is there for booting and single user purposes.

And mounting /usr read-only is not that good, either.
[->]  I disagree.  A r/o /usr is a *must* when exporting it to machines
which have untrusted users with pretty much unrestricted access to their
own machines.

E.g. normally /home
is a symlink to /usr/home and therefore all your users' home directories
would be read-only. Not very nice ;)
[->]  Which is why our home directories live on a separate filesystem,
/homes.

Oh, and don't forget /usr/local/etc
with a lot of the configs and the local startup stuff in rc.d/.
[->]  Which is global and works just fine on every other machine which
has it mounted...

Cheers ...

--
florian
Not speaking for or on behalf of 3Com or U.S.Robotics.

To:   FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:  Boot time message makes no sense.

Greetings!

     I brought this machine up tonight, and have *never*
exported /usr, so I don't know what the following boot log
snippet is trying to tell me (first two lines to orient you
as to where in the boot sequence this occurs):

Sep 24 21:01:27 cliff /kernel: npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
Sep 24 21:01:28 cliff /kernel: npx0: 387 emulator
Sep 24 21:01:34 cliff mountd[99]: Can't delete exports for /usr

Here's the fstab:
# Device       Mountpoint     FStype     Options        Dump      Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b         none      swap sw         0    0
/dev/wd0a      /         ufs  rw         1    1
/dev/wd0s1e         /usr      ufs  rw         2    2
/dev/wd0s1f         /var/mail ufs  rw         2    2

greeves:/usr        /usr      nfs  ro         0    0
proc           /proc          procfs     rw        0    0

and here is /etc/exports

/var/mail -maproot=0    -alldirs

Obviously we are centralizing around a new hub...

Any thoughts?

TIA,

J.Blau, Asst. Admin.