Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:16:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new Intel 100Mbps card

> Bah.  It sounds like an Intel ploy so that they can trivially identify
> these cards and put the "right" name up in the Windows network setup box.
> This isn't quite what the idea was with PCI IDs originally. 8(

Probably. One of our faculty actually bought what seems like a slightly
different version of this card. That had some kind of network management on it.
The difference is that it has the same device_id as the earlier 82557 and is
recognized by FreeBSD without any changes. However, upon looking at the two
cards (the one that I got and the on that that faculty member got) they look
pretty much the same (except for some small chips missing on my card that seem
to control the network management features). I tried the other card out too -
it also seems to give the IP truncated packet errors (I just posted about that
in my last mail to freebsd-hackers list).

> It's probably reasonable to assume that if the driver works at all, it'll
> work just fine.  You can help us out here by looking closely at the large
> funny-looking chip on the card and telling us what the part numbers on it
> are, since that's the only way for us to work out what the part actually
> is.  There's quite a good chance that it's a part we already support, and
> all that Intel have done is change the PCI device ID in the EEPROM.

This time there is no "large" chip on the card. The older cards that I have
do have a large chip with 82557 etched on them. There is a thin, square and
rather small (compared to the older cards) chip that says GD82559 on it.
The same chip seems to be also there on the card that I mentioned above (from
the faculty member). Please let me know if I can help in any other way with
the cards - there are several chips on it and I'm not sure which one you're
really looking for.

- Mohit