Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:40:24 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shouting in a void?

> > I have a plan to eliminate the disk thrashing, but haven't
> > implemented it yet.  Once that's done, I believe it will truly be
> > limited by the network link, unless you've got a T1 or better, or
> > really slow hardware.
>
> Heh.  You have to see what it does to a cvsup server to believe
> it. 8)

I have never seen a busy server (I'd like to sometime), but I do
believe you. :-)

It's actually a problem only for the master server, i.e., freefall.
The mirrors now use "mirror mode" which doesn't have to do a tree
walk for every client.  Chris Timmons (cvsup.freebsd.org) tells me
that it has made a tremendous difference.

I could eliminate the tree walks on freefall by going to a periodic
"cvsupscan" routine.  The cost would be a delay in the visibility
of file changes to the clients.  When I've proposed it in the past,
the universal response was no, we want updates from freefall to be
up-to-the-second.

I have another idea too, but it would require some help from cvs.
I'm no longer adverse to that.

> Even if you just cached the stat results against the mtime for
> something in the repo, you'd win enormously.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Please explain in more
detail up in private mail.  I'm _very_ interested in ways to reduce
the disk load on the master server.

John