Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 14:52:18 +0800
From:      Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chinese in JAVA.

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I write a java applet to display Chinese, I run 'javac -encoding Big5 xxx.java',
> >
> > but it can't display chinese on FreeBSD, would anyone know how to do, thanks.
> >
> > P.S. I've installed Chinese X server so I can see chinese on Netscape without
> > any problem.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Doug.
> >
> You might want to check the file jdk/lib/font.properties.zh_TW_Big5. It has
> font mappings from java to XLFD. Make sure you have the fonts listed there
> (i.e. chinese fonts distributed by sun) or replace the XLFDs with the ones
> you have.

I checked the file font_properties.zh_TW_Big4. I didn't have the fonts listed on
it.I'm not familiar with JAVA, would you tell me what is XLFD, thanks.

> BTW, what did you mean by Chinese X server?

Yup!

> Did you mean you have chinese
> fonts installed or a localized X server? AFAIK, Xlib doesn't even know
> how to handle BIG5 encodings (it knows GB and CNS).

You would install both chinese X server and chinese fonts on your system, and you
would seeChinese mails, homepages, or others without any problem.

Best regards,
Doug.