Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:03:21 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Ryan Davis <ryand-freebsd@ZenSpider.com>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mergemaster mtree:No such file or directory

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:33:51PM -0800, Ryan Davis wrote:
> On 2002-03-24T15:45:42, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> > > Shouldn't the build system (including mergemaster) be impervious to
> > > side-effects from things like PATH?
> >
> > I could easily envision situations where one might want to play games
> > with one's PATH when using mergemaster(8). I think having
> > mergemaster(8) toss aside the user's PATH and essentially hardcode its
> > own makes the tool much less flexible, violates POLA, and generally
> > violates the whole purpose of PATH and environmental variables.
>
> Call me wacky, but "play games when using mergemaster" == command line
> option in my book.  Good Configuration Management would probably state
> that the build and configuration tools should do the same thing every
> time regardless of how wonky my environment is.

No way. Take the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX environmental variable. People
change this all of the time. You would hear much screaming if you
decided that people couldn't customize their builds. If you have a
wonky environment it is either because (a) you know what you are doing
and you want it that way or (b) you don't know what you are doing and
may have a broken environment. For people in (a), they want the tools
to do what they are told to do. They don't want to have to hack the
mergemaster(8) script or bsd.*.mk files in order for them to behave as
they want. People in group (b) should fix their environments. If they
need help, there's -questions.

Anyway, does this really have anything to do with the original
question? Now that I actually look at mergemaster(8),

  #!/bin/sh

  # mergemaster

  # Compare files created by /usr/src/etc/Makefile (or the directory
  # the user specifies) with the currently installed copies.

  # Copyright 1998-2001 Douglas Barton
  # DougB@FreeBSD.org

  # $FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh,v 1.6.2.9 2001/08/11 20:27:52 dougb Exp $

  PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

It does, and has always, clobbered PATH. (Hmm... I guess I musta had to
hack that line in the past. Coulda sworn I did it from the command
line.)