Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:04:48 -0500
From:      "Danny" <danny@hiteknology.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3com 509, working - kinda

I've had this problem with fbsd and 3C509's probably since I started
using the 3C's, it never really bothered me since everything works fine
but I recently have an urge to find some type of solution. Upon boot up
the NIC is detected in the following fashion:

	hiteknology /kernel: ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port
0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
	hiteknology /kernel: ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
	hiteknology last message repeated 4 times
	hiteknology /kernel: ep0: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00
	hiteknology /kernel: ep1: <3Com 3C509B-TPO EtherLink III (PnP)>
at port 0x210-0x21f irq 3 on isa0
	hiteknology /kernel: ep1: Ethernet address 00:60:08:07:d5:6a

Simply using ep1 works fine, but I just want to find out what might be
causing this and what (if any) steps I can take in order to correct the
nuisance. Thanks for your help.

	Danny