Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:10:24 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        GBloomberg <fin.ack@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make.conf and safe settings

GBloomberg <fin.ack@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Brand new to FreeBSD. I must say I luv everything so far, especially
> how simple everything seemed to go from initial installation to kernel
> compilation to a GUI XFCE4 desktop running Firefox. Everything just
> works. I like that alot. This is of course is after a few days worth
> or reading  and research. Well worth the Return On Investment,
> considering  FreeBSD is Free as well. ;)
>
> There are a few Key areas that need some attention that man pages and
> the FBSD handbook/manual are not helping make any clearer for me.

You might take interest in the doc team.  You can subscribe to
doc@freebsd.org to make suggestions or ask questions about how you
can help.  Often times, if you come to the doc list and say, "I looked
all over and couldn't find docs on X" it will prompt someone to write
up some docs on X.

> 1) /etc/make.conf
>  A) If this file doesn't exist what CPU, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS settings are
> used and where(what global file is used if any), when compiling a
> package in /usr/ports/?
>
>  B) Is there a link that describes what are considered safe CFLAGS AND
> CXXFLAGS settings depending on what type of CPU a person is using,
> that a person can use in their "make.conf" file? Right now I have a
> PII 300 MHz.
>
>  C) The /etc/make.conf file as well as the settings inside of the
> example /etc/defaults/make.conf file are confusing to me. I'm totally
> unsure of what settings are safe to use and which are not and what
> kind of impact this file has once in place in /etc/?

make.conf and the settings available are rather more advanced stuff.
If you don't do a lot of compiling and aren't familiar with gcc, you
might do well to ignore make.conf until you've got more experience.
The default settings are designed to work on most machines, so you
shouldn't need to change them.  The only reason to change them is
if you are trying to supertweak a few percent of additional performance
out of your computer.  To get an idea of how dicey that can be, search
for discussions of use of the -O flag to gcc.

If you want to get into it, I would research /etc/defaults/make.conf
and the (very extensive) documentation to gcc.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies