Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2017 05:47:11 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, "bdrewery@freebsd.org" <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: racy tests

Can't something similar to this be done?

.(05:40:37)(bright@elvis.mu.org)
~ % mkfifo derp
.(05:43:46)(bright@elvis.mu.org)
~ % cat derp &
[1] 59244
.(05:43:53)(bright@elvis.mu.org)
~ % ( pwait $! && echo "$?" > ex_status )&
[2] 59263
.(05:44:28)(bright@elvis.mu.org)
~ % echo "hi" >> derp && echo "exit status: $(cat ex_status)"
hi
[2]  + done       ( pwait $! && echo "$?" > ex_status; )
[1]  + done       cat derp
exit status: 0

Make a fifo, lodge a cat(1) process waiting for data, pwait in the background and stuff pwait's status into a file, then unstick the cat(1) by writing to the fifo, and then read the exit status from pwait from the file?

\m/

-Alfred