Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:29:02 -0500
From:      Jim Manley <jmanley@metronet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic:page faults

My FBSD 3.3-stable box has started to panic with page faults upon reboot.
When I reboot the box, it goes through the probe upto the point where it
waits for the SCSI devices to settle then, WHAM -- page fault, panic, reboot.

Here's the error message:

fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address	= 0x1c
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc011ca61
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc0232328
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc02323b4
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= dpl 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, iopl=0
current process	= idle
interrupt mask	=
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault

Am I looking at a hardware problem here (i.e, bad simm)?  I haven't changed
hardware configuration of the box in several months.

System specs:

AMD K5 166Mhz, 32MB RAM, SCSI HP 4mm DAT Tape Drive
AHA-1542CP SCSI Host Adapter, 3COM Etherlink III NIC,
Diamond Stealth 2000 3D Video w/ 4MB RAM, 2 2GB Hard Drives
FBSD 3.3-Stable, cvsupped 10/20/99

Regards,

Jim Manley