Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2018 19:57:01 -0400
From:      John Johnstone <jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd@tridentusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding files on BSD that are hidden by Samba

On 10/4/2018 7:13 PM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:

> I would ask on their ML but they changed their smtp service and it
> will no longer connect to ours because we use a private CA and provide
> the self-signed CA root certificate.

I haven't debugged it in detail but I've seen Yahoo / AOL / Oath send
mail where they make a connection to port 25, via STARTTLS start a SSL
handshake, have something objectionable in the handshake occur (which
might be the presence of a self-signed certificate), but then re-connect
immediately back to port 25 and do the SMTP transfer un-encrypted
without TLS.

If you're talking about your server sending mail to the samba mailing
list and their server is refusing your attempt at encrypted transfer to
their port 25, a workaround is to just not do encryption.  Either
altogether for all your outgoing mail or configure your system to not do
it just when connecting to the samba mailing list server.

It's now more common for mail receivers to refuse "sub-standard"
encrypted transfers but they essentially have to fall back to
un-encrypted to keep mail flowing.  You just have to configure your
server to do un-encrypted with samba or to automatically fallback and
retry un-enncrypted.

-
John J.