Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 13:24:58 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [btellier@USA.NET: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities]

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 03:21:21 PST, Steve Reid wrote:

> I kept checking the port's patches directory to see if my temporary
> fix was applied but there were no changes in the patches directory
> (note: I didn't check the distfiles).

I think that's where you made your mistake. :-)

You need to remember that, with very few exceptions, FreeBSD
contributors have day jobs.  Not only that, but the kind of person who
takes an interest in FreeBSD development is usually terrible with time
management -- we tend to have TODO lists longer than our family trees!

If you're not going to badger a port's maintainer until he/she does
something, you're unlikely to get results out of a single request.
That's why the PR system is good.  The PR sits there pissing us off
until someone does something about it. :-)

Later,
Sheldon.