Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:31:14 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "<freebsd-current@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot failure: panic: No heap setup

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:
> A few weeks ago I tried the LUA boot and found, that my kernel did not start
> (i.e. did not print the initial FreeBSD version line), but instead stopped
> with:

Oy =/

> panic: No heap setup
>
> I recovered by booting from an alternate boot device and kept my system
> running until today, where I decided to give the LUA boot another try.
>
> The boot failure happened again, with identical message:
>
>         panic: No heap setup

Hmm... that's an sbrk panic [1], indicating that setheap hadn't been
called. zfsgptboot is zfsboot with gpt bits included, so the relevant
setheap call is [2] I believe. It's not immediately clear to me how
switching interpreters could actually be breaking it in this way.

At what point are you hitting this panic? After menu, before kernel transition?

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/libsa/sbrk.c?view=markup#l56
[2] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/i386/zfsboot/zfsboot.c?view=markup#l688