Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:15:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TGA driver available...

Andrew M. Miklic writes:
 > All,
 >
 >     A new, corrected TGA kernel is available for testing.  This kernel is
 > for TGA devices _only_, so it will not boot on VGA as console for systems
 > with only VGA, and for systems with both TGA and VGA, it will boot on TGA as
 > console.
 >
 >     A word of note: if you are going to use a "small" monitor (17'' or less)
 > or a monitor only capable of refresh rates less than 80Hz and the monitor
 > does not sync during boot of the kernel listed below, please set the TGA
 > card to the lowest resolution (640x480) and retry...
 >
 >     The driver can be found here:
 >
 >         http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/tgaonly.gz

Its a GENERIC 5.0-current kernel with the TGA driver in place of the
VGA driver, actually ;)

BTW, if you test this, please set your console to "graphics" and make
sure you have a keyboard plugged in.  We're interested in hearing if
you can boot to single user mode & use the TGA card as a graphics
console.  I've compiled in hints, so you should be able to drop this
kernel in the root fs of a 4.x machine, and boot it rather than your
4.x kernel.

Drew