Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2007 19:32:18 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for ideas: triple booting and personal data

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> I am creating a triple boot machine (FB, Linux, Vista) and want to keep
> all non-system files (i.e. any thing I made vs. was installed by the OS
> [including 3rd party software]) avaible (r/w) by all three OS's.   I
> know I can do this by putting /usr/home on a NTFS partition but am
> worried about the slowness of ntfs-3g/ntfsprogs (90% of the time I am in
> FreeBSD and have several things going that need decent disk performence
> [bit torrents]).  Any ideas?
>
> BTW an added plus would be some way to automatically have one or all the
> OS's maintain archival copies for backup purposes

For my dual-booting laptop ( FreeBSD , WinXP ) I'm using ext2 for my
data partiton. Works like a charm for me ( Using
http://www.fs-driver.org/ for WinXP and sysutils/e2fsprogs ) Only thing
that can be anoying is when FreeBSD crashes and I have to fsck my entire
data partiton which can take a while. But possibly this can be avoided
by using ext3 instead of ext2 (But the utilities are the same ).

Good luck,

--
-Frank Staals