Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:44:50 +1000
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        Danny <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.conf question

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:44:05AM +1000, Danny <dannyho@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to add a additional ip address to my test FreeBSD machine by
> issuing the following command :
>
> 1) cp /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf_backup
> 2)vi /etc/rc.conf
> 3)I typed in the following entry
>
> ifconfig_rl0_alias0="192.168.1.189 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> When I reboot the computer I get the following error message:
>
> Mount root from ufs:/dev/ads1sa
> /etc/rc.conf 24 Syntax Error: Unterminated quotated string
> Enter Full path name of shell or return for /bin/sh
>
> I have tried typing in cp /etc/rc.conf_backup /etc/rc.conf
>
> I have tried typing in fsck then typing in
>
> cp /etc/rc.conf_backup /etc/rc.conf
>

> How do I get it to restart properly?

G'day

The cause of the original error is probably because you left
the final quote (") off of the following line.

> ifconfig_rl0_alias0="192.168.1.189 netmask 255.255.255.0

When you reboot and it asks which shell, just hit return.
You will now be in single user mode (it wasn't clear from your
mail if you actually did this or started typing cp and fsck commands
immediately at this prompt).

You will need to remount your root filesystem rw:

mount -o rw /

Then you will need to either edit your rc.conf to (presumably)
fix the quotation mark, or else (as you tried):

cp /etc/rc.conf_backup /etc/rc.conf

Hope this helps,

Greg