Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:13:12 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        angela <angelayu@ca.inter.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login name 'xxxdotxxx'

From: angela <angelayu@ca.inter.net>
Subject: login name 'xxxdotxxx'
Date: Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:41:28AM -0400

> Hi
>
> Do you think it is suitable to have login name  'xxx dot xxx' as
> angela.yu?
> Is it any bad effect on system?

In certain older versions the chown(1) command would accept the
notation username.group as a valid format for it's first argument.
It still does in certain implementations of chown(1).  You would
write something like:

	# chown angela.yu file

to change the owner of `file' to user 'angela' of group 'yu'.

Therefore, it's not a good idea to have dots in login names.

If what you are trying to do is make e-mail messages addressed to
angela.yu@my.domain.com be delivered to your mailbox, it's better to
choose some username like 'angela' or one that does not contain dots,
and have an alias called 'angela.yu' point to that username.

When I wanted to have all mail sent to giorgos.keramidas@domain.com
delivered to my mailbox, I added an account for me called 'giorgos',
and added to my /etc/mail/aliases the line:

	giorgos.keramidas	giorgos

That made everything work great, and I could still write:

	# chown giorgos.users /path/to/some/file

-giorgos