Date:      Sat,  9 Nov 2002 22:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@FreeBSD.ORG (Julian Elischer)
To:        imp@bsdimp.com, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bluetooth

[note my quote corrected]

> :
> : > I'd go one step farther.  I'd say that it would be insane to have more
> : > than one bluetooth stack for FreeBSD.  I'd go farther and say that it
> : > would be insane to have more than one bluetooth stack for *BSD.
> : > Bluetooth is too big and specailized for there to be much benefit in
> : > competing stacks.
> :
> : The NetBSD stack is more an idea than code at this stage.. are you
> : suggesting that we do not commit our working stack because they might
> : sometime write a stack?

> If the code is so horrible, why commit it at all?  FreeBSD isn't a
> dumping ground for any old code that people happen to come up with.

Our code is not terrible on the contrary the Netgaph bluetooth code is really
very clean  I think. The NETBSD code is what doesn;t work yet.

> You can't argue that we should commit it to FreeBSD, because it is
> about ready and at the same time argue that the code sucks, so you
> don't have to do any work.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.
> Either it is just about ready for prime time and you need to properly
> integrate it into the tree, or it is an experimental hack that has no
> business being in the tree.  It can't be both.

Oh for gods sake Warner.. I just misttyped NETGRAPH instead of NETBSD..

Your whole  argulemt is about a typo so far.

> I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't commit this code because NetBSD
> might someday come up with a better stack.  I'm saying that we need to
> be open to sharing with NetBSD/OpenBSD.  I'm saying that you need to
> be open to integrating it completely into the tree.  I'm saying that
> we should make efforts to allow our NetBSD bretheren to pick up the
> stack.

There is a netgraph port for NetBSD. They haven't taken it because it
wasn't in BSD4.4 (they are purists you know). I don't see why we shouldn't
use appropriate technologies within FreeBSD just because NetBSD doesn't have
them?

> Didn't you read the rest of my post?  FreeBSD has plenty of examples
> where code was committed prematurely and then it rotted to
> worthlessness.  Sometimes this was because there were multiple similar
> things in the tree, other times the original developer fell off the
> face of the earth.  In any event, it has caused us problems.

This is not such a case.