Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        mhughes@logroad.bridge.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: damaged / filesystem

>Another hint, if 32 is also damaged, you can run:

>newfs -N /dev/<rawdevice> to get a list of alternate super blocks.

>However if 0 and 32 are damaged, you'll likely not get anything back
>anyway.

Thanks, Paul, for that very valuable additional information.
Fortunately for all of us, these things don't happen very often.
Although it can be fairly disruptive when they do, I also try
to treat them as an educational experience so I'm better
prepared to handle the next such occurrence when it arises.
*SO*, the point being that I'm very interested in all these
tidbits even though they may not relate specifically to the
current disaster, they may well relate to the next.

I guess this is all a rather verbose way of saying, "Thanks
a batch!"

     ... doug