Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:07:36 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg(ng)/portupgrade-devel: does not respect setting of USE_GCC= 4.6+

--------------enig64785AE26661346A8185D3EB

On 20/08/2012 18:57, O. Hartmann wrote:
> I utilize FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT and build the OS with CLANG as well as
> ports, which are compatible building with clang, using the well known
> settings in /etc/make.conf and /etc/src/conf.
>=20
> I use ports-mgmt/pkg (1.0-r6) and recently in combination with
> ports-mgmt/portupgrade for maintaining my ports. Prior to portupgrade I=

> used to use ports-mgmt/portmaster (with patch).
>=20
>=20
>=20
> In /etc/mak.conf, I include a file via

I take it this is a typo in your e-mail and you really meant to say
/etc/make.conf ?

> .include "/usr/local/etc/ports.conf" in which I have settings like thos=
e:
>=20
> # math/fftw3
> .if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports/math/fftw3}
> USE_GCC=3D                4.6+
> #CC=3D                    cc
> #CXX=3D                   c++
> #CPP=3D                   cpp
> .endif
>=20
>=20
> This setup worked very well in pre-pkg(ng) times and with portmaster.
> But now, with pkg, I can not install math/fftw3 anymore (amongst other
> ports not compatible with CLANG). Performing "make install" in
> math/fftw3 results in:
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D>  fftw3-3.3.2 : clang does not support OpenMP. Disable the OP=
ENMP
> option or use another compiler.
> *** [install] Error code 1
>=20
> Stop in /usr/ports/math/fftw3.
>=20
>=20
> Using portupgrade ends up in this:
>  portupgrade -f math/fftw3
> USING PKGNG
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: math/fftw3:
>         : clang does not support OpenMP. Disable the OPENMP option or
> use another compiler
> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>         - math/fftw3 (marked as IGNORE)
>=20
> I'd like to have OPENMP since I have multicore CPUs running and
> therefore I use GCC 4.6 (or higher), which is capable of.
>=20
> Why does the use of pkg(ng) reject those essential settings? Have I
> overlooked something essential? I can not find any remarks on that
> subject in the man pages, or any hint leading towards a new configure
> schematics. Any hint?
>=20
>=20
> Regards and greetings,
> Oliver
>=20
>=20
> P.S. Please CC me in email, I do not subscribe list "ports@freebsd".

Hi, Oliver,

This technique certainly should work: I use some pretty similar
constructs in several machines with various combinations of pkg_tools,
pkgng, portmaster and poudriere, and it's absolutely fine there.

pkgng doesn't do anything to affect the actual extract / patch /
configure / build / install phases -- that's all still exactly the same,
and all of the various ports related make variables should work in the
same way as before.  In fact, the only place pkgng gets involved is
during the 'fake-pkg' and 'package' targets which happen right after the
software has been installed.  All that does is process the various
package metadata (plist, recording dependencies, checksums etc) and
updates the database in /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite and optionally builds a
tarball out of the installed files.

Hmm... can you check the environment you used while building?  Several
variables can have a significant effect.  PORTSDIR, PORT_DBDIR -- but
pespecially __MAKE_CONF might be the culprit.  Except, as you can see,
__MAKE_CONF has got that __ prefix, which signifies "not a user
serviceable part."

Your ports tree is definitely in the usual place of /usr/ports?

Verb. Sap. -- I usually write those tests against .CURDIR like this:

=2Eif ${.CURDIR:M*/net-mgmt/net-snmp}
NET_SNMP_MIB_MODULES=3Dhost disman/event-mib mibII/mta_sendmail
mibII/tcpTable ucd-snmp/diskio
=2Eendif

so that they still work even if I'm using a ports tree in a non-standard
place.

Another test would be:

 % make -C /usr/ports/math/fftw3 -V USE_GCC

If that doesn't result in 4.6+ then something is broken in make.conf or
ports.conf somewhere.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20