Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:21:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enabling bridge-support in rc.conf?

Szilveszter Adam wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > Just to get it clear: I did not suggest it to be enabled without user
 > intervention. All I
 > had in mind was to move this particular parameter to rc.conf (or similar)
 > instead of the sysctl.

Well, that's debatable.

(Personally, as I said earlier in this thread, I don't think
that each and every sysctl knob should have an equivalent
rc.conf setting.  Only the most common ones.  I think rc.conf
is already bloated and cluttered with stuff, some of which is
not needed by 99% of the users and just might cause confusion,
and the remaining 1% certainly would know how to throw the
switches without rc.conf.)

 > The problem with sysctls is only one: They tend to be badly documented.

The bridge(4) manpage documents the sysctl in question _very_
well.  Please read it if you don't believe me.

I agree that _some_ sysctls are not well-documented (but as I
said before: docs don't exist until someone writes them).
But the specific sysctl in question (see the subject line) is
very well documented.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)