Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 96 10:38:45 edt
From:      Bruce Perryman <Bruce_Perryman@ibi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot problems after installing FreeBSD

     Hello Walnut Creek,

     I am a new FreeBSD user and I am having trouble using it.

     I have 2 hard drives, a 252 MB as the master and a 2000 MB as the
     slave.  Although my bios is dated February 1994, I had trouble seeing
     all of my 2000 MB drive.  So I used IBM's Disk Manager software to
     create 2 1000 MB partitions.  In doing so Disk Manager created a boot
     manager on my C drive which prompts me to press the spacebar if I want
     to boot from a floppy, otherwise it boots from my C drive.

     Then I attempted to install FreeBSD.

     I created an installation boot floppy from my FreeBSD v2.1
     installation CD and proceeded to install a intermediate level
     XDevleloper version of FreeBSD.  To create space I deleted the second
     partition created by Disk Manager and created a 950 MB partition for
     FreeBSD.  I requested that the master boot record remain untouched,
     however after the installation was completed, and the system rebooted,
     I was prompted to insert a boot floppy in drive A.  My PC won't boot
     now unless I have a boot floppy.  This wouldn't be so bad if I could
     boot FreeBSD from a floppy, but I can't figure out how.  I don't see
     anywhere in the menus how to create a boot floppy to run FreeBSD.  I
     do see how to create one for installation.  So FreeBSD is installed
     but I can't run it.

     The ideal situation would be to have FreeBSD's boot manager control
     whether I boot DOS or BSD and have BSD on my large drive (I would
     rather not boot from a floppy).  However, I need Disk Manager's boot
     manager to see all of my large drive.  The next desirable situation
     would be to boot FreeBSD from a floppy - but I need instructions on
     how to do so.  If you can give me any other options for the solution
     of this problem, I would appreciate it.

     I hope that I was too descriptive of the problem, however if I wasn't
     please contact me so that I can further clarify.  I am very eager to
     get started with FreeBSD.  I look forward to your reply.

                        Thank you,
                            Bruce Perryman
                            (212)736-4433 x4444
                             M-F 9-5