Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 17:29:52 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: SCSI cdrom attach problems on 4-stable

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 23:07:17 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 01:32:17PM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > There are several things to try here.
> >
> > First, try this:
> >
> > camcontrol cmd pass3 -v -c "25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"
> >
> > That will issue a read capacity command to the drive.  The second thing to
>
> Which produces (on Miata):
>
>  without CD loaded:
> miata#camcontrol cmd pass3 -v -c "25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"
> Nov  5 00:01:10 miata /kernel: isp0: 0.6 get current period 0x19 offset 0x8
> flags 0xd500
> camcontrol: Nov  5 00:01:10 miata /kernel: isp0: 0.6 get current period 0x19
> offset 0x8 flags 0xd500
> error sending command
> CAM status is 0x10
> miata#
>
>  with CD loaded:
>
> miata#camcontrol cmd pass3 -v -c "25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"
> camcontrol: error sending command
> CAM status is 0x10
> miata#Nov  5 00:02:19 miata /kernel: isp0: 0.6 get current period 0x19
> offset 0x8 flags 0xd500
> Nov  5 00:02:19 miata /kernel: isp0: 0.6 get current period 0x19 offset 0x8
> flags 0xd500

Same problem, autosense failed.  What happens if you issue a TUR, or an
inquiry?

camcontrol tur pass3 -v
camcontrol inquiry pass3 -v

The thing is, I'm not sure what will happen if there is a unit attention
condition on the drive (as there will be when you insert media), and
autosense is failing.  Will the condition be cleared or not?

The inquiry at least should work, the test unit ready might work.  Try the
TUR both with a CD in the drive and without one in the drive.

> > try is booting with a CD in the drive, and without a CD in the drive, and
> > see if one or the other causes it to probe.
>
> The problem that I listed was when booting without a CD in the drive.
> My Miata is currently buildworlding-4.2beta so I have to wait a bit.
>
> The AS1000A was also booted without a disk in the drive. I'm 100% sure the
> same hardware ran ok at some point in time (at least on 4.1R). On the
> AS1000A I have tested both a RRD45 and a RRD46 (both rebadged Toshibas btw)
> with the same effect.
>
> Common is a Qlogic card, so driven by isp. Matt, any comments?

Do you have another type of controller handy that you could plug the drive
into?  That might help isolate the problem.

I don't think there has been much, if anything that has changed that would
cause this sort of problem, at least in the CD driver.

> It would be nice to get this sorted out before 4.2 releases. DEC RRD drives
> tend to be pretty common on Alphas ;-)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry