Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 21:39:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bringing up freebsd 2.0.5

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Marty Leisner wrote:

> >     1) should I start off with the 2.05 kernel?
> >     Can I run the 2.0 release binaries with the 2.05 kernel
> >     (I have the November infomagic cd-rom).
>
>   2.0R binaries will not work with 2.0.5R kernel.

    ^!!!!!!!??????

   I had planned to tar off all the files I had changed or added to my
2.0R system to tape. Then reinstall them under 2.0.5. A Number of them were
packages that I had to make corrections to (such as pthreads, xlockmore,
asp, ....). And quit a few I just went out a picked up from the net and
built (66 programs in /usr/local/bin).

  1?  Must everything that does not come on the distribution have to be
recompiled, relinked, or what?

  1.1?  Will 2.0.5 binaries run under 2.1? Or will it be the same story?

  2?  Breaking my own rule, I have the Netscape binary that works fine
for me now. Will this also no longer run?

  3?  Will programs that look into the kernel (xcpustate, xmeter, lsof,

  4?  Will the source file I use to configure a kernel still work with
the 2.0.5? I ask this because I am going to have to move my BT SCSI
controller to an alternate address. As such, I assume I will have to
rebuild the kernel the very first time I boot up, or have to boot from
floppy and use the -c flag as well. The boot manager never has worked for
me.

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |