Date:      Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:54:17 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>, sn1tch <dot.sn1tch@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feedback on a good DNS server

--On Wednesday, March 09, 2005 04:42:46 PM -0500 Ean Kingston
<ean@hedron.org> wrote:

>> I am looking into setting up a DNS server on our network using an
>> existing FreeBSD box. I have been looking around and reading comments
>> on different DNS servers out their but everyone has mixed feelings. I
>> know someone who uses BIND and is happy with it .. is their any reason
>> why BIND wouldn't be a good choice? All i need is to have DNS running
>> on a webserver so we can host our site internally...any feedback on
>> this setup and/or DNS server is appreciated
>
> I belive Bind is still included with the base FreeBSD OS. I've used it in
> the past and never had any problems with it. As always, YMMV.

If you're concerned about security, BIND has had a large number of security
problems.  DJBDNS is in /usr/ports/dns/ and it's very easy to setup and
very easy to use.  More responsive than BIND as well, and you don't have to
figure out the esoteric syntax that BIND requires.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member