Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:04:09 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: register now, pay later, for a domain?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 July 2000 at 21:42:53 +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > According to Dan Langille:
> >> Does anyone know a domain registrar where I can register the domain
> >> now and pay later?
> >
> > AFAIK none of the current registrars support this. NSI used to but moved to a
> > credit card based system and all later registars adopted the same schema
> > because they're pre-buy domains to NSI.
>
> I think it's very unlikely that there will be one.  Some US film
> makers were apparently registering film names in advance, putting up a
> web site, then closing down before they ever got round to paying.

Same here - The Netherlands, that is. The company namespace.com had
reputedly registered about 25.000 domainnames without apparantly
paying for them.

No wonder we had a cybersquatting problem.

But you've got to admit it's great for business. Buy low, sell high and
disappear when the sh*t threatens to hit the fan.

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis van de TGV op http://SlakkeHuis.com/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
UPC/Chello home http://nisser.com/